Monday, June 15, 2009

The Beanery

I have been recently stepping out into new venues to perform my magic. I mainly perform for family audiences. It works well. The kids love the magic and the adults can appreciate the skill involved. But lately I've been wanting to do more adult shows. Now I have an adult show that I present to corporations. But, I'm wanting to improve and learn where my boundaries are. I love the subject of entertainment. There are many things that go into having a good show. Many psychological aspects to it as well. So the more shows you do the more you can pick up on the ebb and flow of an adult audience. You can tune into more of how THEY are responding and adjust accordingly. So I get invited to one place which is a "blues" restaurant/lounge/bar. As soon as I went in, I knew it was going to be tough. I have written about this experience in my private journals and may upload it soon. The bottom line, is that the magic did not go over, in fact I didn't even finish the little set that I had. So last night I performed at a hip cafe in Mishawaka, IN called "The Beanery". I was a little nervous, just from memories of the last attempt. Thank God, everything went well this time. The people were so receptive. The atmosphere was definetly adult, but just had a totally different vibe. I went on after a guitarist played some very ethereal sounding melodies. He helped gather a nice crowd. And so with tricks in bag and mic on head, I was ready to perform. A little note for all the speaking performers. Remeber this was a small cafe. I thought, oh I'll just use a strong voice I wont 'mic up'. At that time I remembered a book that I read that admonished the reader about the importance for your voice to be amped so EVERYONE could hear EVERYTHING that you said. I mic'ed up and WOW I was so glad that I did. Some of the performance would have been lost if I would not have done that. Chalk it up for reading books. It really helps when you read continually in your field of endeavor. So I liked the venue. It's a really cool atmosphere. I had several people afterwards tell me that they enjoyed the show. So it looks like this will open up to me again in the near future. Looking forward to it. I'll upload a video of some of the magic that night...

No comments: